2nd Gobble Delivery Review & Free Dinner Kit Coupon



Bistro Salmon en Papillote with Asparagus & Béarnaise


Ingredients


Country Captain Chicken Curry with Coconut Rice


Ingredients


Baked Conchiglie Mac & Cheese


Ingredients


Shepherd's Pie & Mixed Greens Salad


Ingredients


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


Ingredients


This is a review of a weekly meal kit subscription box from a company called Gobble. Dinner meals are $11.95 per serving, cookies are $1.95 per serving, soup is $5.95 per serving and Mac & Cheese is $5.95 per serving. This week I gave one recipe five out of five stars, two recipes four stars, one recipe three and a half stars and two recipe three stars. I reviewed the Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup in our previous shipment and I gave it four stars, so I wont be repeating the review.

Bistro Salmon en Papillote with Asparagus & Béarnaise

Wow, this meal was incredible! I gave this recipe five out of five stars and Hubby gave it four stars. The sauce was sent already made, so that was one less step for us to do. It was so scrumptious! My stomach is very sensitive to sauces made with cream, so I'm happy to report that this one wasn't too heavy. Hubby put it on everything and it tasted awesome on both vegetables and the salmon. I wish they provided the ingredient list for the sauce, so we could make it on our own. Baking salmon in parchment paper makes it so moist and tender. They sent us two parchment pouches to bake them in along with the lemon. The asparagus and potatoes were also delicious. At first glance it looked like it might not be a large enough portion, but it landed up being a generous and filling portion. This one has only 560 calories and it took Hubby forty-five minutes to prepare.

Country Captain Chicken Curry with Coconut Rice

I gave this recipe four out of five stars. I would have given it five stars, if the chicken had not been precooked and it was a larger portion. We were surprised that the chicken had already been seasoned and cooked. We'd prefer to cook it ourselves, but it does save time. Previously, they did not send anything precooked, so it was quite the surprise. The curry sauce was premade and very tasty and it reminded me of my mother's version though Gobble's was very mild in spice. It would have been much better made with a hotter spice. The rice was also precooked and yet it had the perfect texture and it was very tasty. There wasn't much to do since so much of it was already cooked and it just needed warming up. That's perfect for those that are in a rush and don't have the time or energy for making it from scratch. This one has 1040 calories which seems high. They didn't provide an ingredient list for the country captain sauce, so I'm guessing they added something to it that raised the calorie count. Normally, chicken curry wouldn't be so high in calories. It was a very large portion, very filling and it took Hubby only thirty-five minutes to prepare.

Baked Conchiglie Mac & Cheese

I gave this recipe three out of five stars. It really needs some mustard powder & garlic salt. It was just too bland for me, the sauce was a bit on the sour side and I didn't like the breadcrumb topping. I really enjoyed the fresh pasta though, it's texture is so much better. It was a pleasant surprise to receive fresh pasta. It's listed as a side, but I served it as the main dish for lunch and it was an extra large portion for two. As a side, it would be enough for four. I found it needed longer than the five minutes suggested to brown the breadcrumbs in the oven. They don't list the calorie count for this recipe, but as we all know this is a high calorie dish which is for a cheat meal. It took me thirty-two minutes to prepare.

Shepherd's Pie & Mixed Greens Salad

I gave this recipe three out of five stars, though note that I am very picky when it comes to Shepherd's Pie since my Mum made it regularly. There was too much sauce on the ground beef and I was shocked that the beef was already cooked and the mashed potatoes already prepared. I really prefer freshly cooked or frozen. This is in between which is great, if you want to save time, but don't want to eat frozen entrees. If you want to make a really simple and quick Shepherd's Pie, place cooked ground beef at the bottom of a baking pan, slices of tomato on top and then mashed potatoes on top of that, add salt & pepper and brown in the oven. A very simple recipe, yet scrumptious. The salad only offered gem lettuce and red wine vinaigrette, so I added sunflower seeds, shredded Mexican cheese, red onion, salt and pepper. There was only enough dressing for one person, but it was tasty. Maybe they forgot to send a second packet of dressing. This one has 730 calories and it was a very large portion. I ate about one quarter of the Shepherd's Pie, it could easily feed four unless you skip the salad. The gem lettuce was nice and crisp even on the fifth day after it arrived. I found that it needed twice as long in the oven than the recipe stated to brown the potatoes, so it took me fifty-two minutes to prepare.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I gave these cookies three out of five stars. I'm not a fan of overly sweetened cookies, but these tasted like diet cookies to me almost like granola rather than a cookie. If you like Whole Foods' cookies, you'll love these. When I treat myself I want something deliciously sweet since I rarely eat anything with sugar in it. If I wanted granola then I would have that instead. They don't list the calorie count for this one. They are large cookies and a very generous portion. They suggest two cookies per serving when really one is enough. I had to cook them longer than the recipe suggested. 

While we absolutely loved the salmon recipe this week, there were some recipes that missed the mark for us. I really wish I had known that they started precooking some the ingredients prior to ordering them. Last time I ordered, nothing was precooked, so it was an unpleasant surprise for us. It definitely saved us on preparation time and it would be perfect for those that don't order meal kits due to the time required. This would be a great alternative to frozen prepared meals. If you subscribe to this box, have you received lots of precooked ingredients or is this something new they are trying? The portions were large to extra large and some could have been shared with two adults and a couple of children easily or lots of leftovers which brings down the cost and calories. If you want to give this meal kit delivery service a try, click on the link below to grab the discount on your first box. If you have any questions, be sure to leave a comment below. Which food subscription box is your favorite? 

Bargain Alert: 

Gobble Meal Kits, Soup, Cookies, Bread, Cocktail Mixes - Two free meals
Hello Fresh Meal Kits - $40 Off
Home Chef Meal Kits, Smoothies & Prepared Salads - $30 Off
Sun Basket Meal Kits - $50 Off 1st Two Boxes *
Terra's Kitchen Meal Kits, Smoothies & Prepared Salads, Soup, Drinks & Snacks - $40 Off
*Affiliate Link

I invite you to follow my blog via FacebookInstagramPinterestTwitterGoogle +Bloglovin' or Networked Blogs. Share this blog post with your friends via Twitter & Facebook:


Have a PEACEful Day!


No comments