Play! by Sephora Subscription Box Review - April 2018


Insta Beauty


This is a review for a monthly cosmetic subscription box called Play! by Sephora. This month the theme is "Insta Beauty" which offers products that deliver quick camera ready results. This month's box has a retail value of $40.90, which is quite the bargain. There are several different boxes that they send out each month, my box is #609 and it included the following samples:
  1. Peter Thomas Roth - Skin to Die for, No Filter Mattifying Primer & Complexion Perfector, made in the USA, .25 fl. oz., $7.00 retail value
  2. Philosophy - Purity Made Simple Pore Extractor Mask, .17 fl. oz., made in the USA, $2.38 retail value
  3. Urban Decay - Hi-Fi Shine Ultra Cushion Lip Gloss in the color SPL, made in the USA, .03 oz., $2.60 retail value
  4. Sephora Collection - Rouge Cream Lipstick, made in France, .035 oz., $3.12 retail value
  5. Drunk Elephant - T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial, made in the USA, .5 fl. oz., $23.66 retail value
  6. Living Proof - Perfect Hair Day Shampoo & Conditioner, foil sample, made in the USA, .33 oz x 2, $2.14 retail value
I've tried the Living Proof Shampoo & Conditioner before and while I liked it, it wasn't amazing enough to pay it's extra large price tag. I have received the same Sephora lipstick before in that red color, so that is disappointing and made an even more so since I don't wear red lipstick. It looks fabulous on some people, but I'm not one of them. I'm happy to receive the Urban Decay lip gloss though it looks like there is very little product in the container. I can see through it! It's only 13% of the original size. I can't imagine getting many uses out of it. It has a minty vanilla scent that I like and it has a bit of a tingly, cooling sensation on the lips. It's a bit on the thick side compared to Buxom by bareMinerals, my favorite lip gloss. It's not sticky and the color SPL is described as "holographic candy pink with iridescent sparkle". It's mostly a clear gloss with some glitter which would be nice for a candlelit dinner or a day at the beach, not for a business meeting. I'm a fan of this lip gloss as I am the brand. I usually enjoy Philosophy samples, but I don't purchase full sizes, I'm just not a big fan. I haven't received the Pore Extractor Mask before. This one has a yellow container, but the clay mask is white and quite dry. It says to wait until it's dry before rinsing off and that takes only a few minutes. I found it to be too gritty and too drying. I much prefer ExfoliKate. I'm super excited to receive a Drunk Elephant sample since I have yet to receive one and I've seen others receiving them over the last year. I just gave it a try and it made me nervous during application because it was stinging. I was imagining an emergency room trip and having anxiety. Fortunately, that sensation went away quickly. It requires a twenty minute wait. It's suppose to help uneven texture, dullness, fine lines, wrinkles and uneven skin tone. It made my skin really soft, smooth and a bit shiny. Not only shiny, but that shine you get from swimming in a pool with chlorine. Wow, I love it. I enjoy the Peter Thomas Roth brand, so I look forward to giving the new primer a try. On my hand, it feels just like a copy of Benefit's POREfessional Face Primer which I already use. That brand definitely reduces the look of your pores. I recommend that one, but the PTR one is less expensive. While it is another step, it's one I recommend taking the time to use especially if your pores are quite noticeable. I apply it to my nose and my smile lines. The fabric cosmetic bag this month has to be the least attractive one they have sent so far, no creativity at all. My favorite sample is the Drunk Elephant facial and my least favorite is the Sephora red lipstick. I like everything in this box except the red lipstick, so I'm happy with the April box. What was your favorite item in your box? If you don't subscribe, why not?

Bargain Alert:

Mr. Rebates - 4% cash back for online Sephora purchases! 

Check out my Play! by Sephora Pinterest Board to see what I have received in my previous twenty-three boxes. Also, check out my Subscription Box Pinterest Board to see what other boxes I've subscribed to over the years. Don't forget to follow this blog via Facebook, so you don't miss any of my future posts.

Be a pal and share this blog post with friends by clicking on the Google red box (G+1) at the very top of this page or via Twitter and Facebook by clicking their boxes here:


Have a PEACEful Day!


No comments